Today this email shows up in my inbox. Looks like our Home Owner's Association has a flair for the dramatics.
Solar Panel Survey Reminder and FactsDate: 3/23/2010
On March 10th, the HOA mailed a solar panel survey to every home in the community. The survey asked each household to vote on whether they would support allowing solar panels in the neighborhood or not. The HOA never issued an opinion to the community regarding solar panels, either in favor of or opposed to.
A decision will be made democratically by the community based upon the input received. To date, we have received input from 18% of the community. If you have not submitted your survey there is still time. The deadline is March 31.
(1) Some residents enthusiastically support solar panels and others are adamantly opposed. Each side has a right to their opinion.
(2) The HOA is required to enforce the governing documents (adopted in 1995) which states, “No projections of any type shall be placed or permitted to remain above the roof of any residential building with the exception of one or more chimneys and one or more vent stacks, without the written permission of the Architectural Control Committee.”
(3) One resident has installed solar panels without HOA approval and without waiting on the survey outcome. The resident did not provide the requested information to the Architectural Control Committee. The resident’s installer failed to show up for a scheduled meeting with the Architectural Control Committee. The resident elected to install panels without approval and with full knowledge the HOA was planning to survey the community and would reconsider their request based upon the survey results.
The following is an excerpt from an email sent by this resident today:
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:02 AM
Subject: Ready to drop it?
We gave you EVERY chance to make this a positive news story for our community, instead you choose to make it a negative one.
Here is our peace offering: Drop all the ridiculous lawsuits and agree to never bring it up again, pay us the estimated $5,000 in fees we’ve spent so far, and adopt a green policy NOW; then we will turn the media hype into a positive piece about how great our HOA is for adopting and promoting Green technologies, and how you endorse all our residents saving money & doing something good for the environment.Otherwise we will continue fighting and defending our right to be Green. Your choice. We can only keep the media away for so long.
So. A couple of things.1) I can't believe the dude who sent this email thought it was appropriate to cut and paste an angry email from another resident into a neighborhood-wide email blast.
2) I had no idea that Solar Panels were Such A Big Deal.
3) I love how this rebel resident feels like he's sitting on a story akin to Monica Lewinsky. "We can only keep the media away for so long." I also like how he put that part in a big font.
4) Last I checked, a "right to be green" is not included in the first amendment.
5) I'm going to go ahead and create a category for "HOA Drama" because I'm pretty sure there's more where this came from.
6) I am totally going to drive around the neighborhood, find the solar panels and make friends with this dude. He seems...spirited.
(PS Sorry for the weird breaks/spacing. When you copy/paste into Typepad, it sort of breaks the editor.)